||Real Estate Consultant
2 permanent position (1 Transactional focussed – 1 Portfolio Management focussed) – Hamilton, ON
Conversant with all things real estate – from planning, development, financing and negotiations to appraisals, acquisitions, expropriations and dispositions – and adept at leading multidisciplinary project teams to achieve results, you welcome the opportunity to join the Economic Development Division and contribute to the sound management of the City of Hamilton real estate portfolio.
Reporting to the Manager of Real Estate, you’ll be responsible for the delivery and administration of real estate services, with a particular focus either on securing, and disposing of, real property rights, or on portfolio management, planning and strategy. Along with undertaking research, strategic planning, advising and negotiations, you’ll plan for, and/or guide, the work of others (internal and external) with respect to City real property assets and interests (fee simple, easement, encroachment, strata, lease, etc.) and activities (appraisals, acquisitions via purchase or expropriation, dispositions, leases or licences, relocations, property management, portfolio management, asset management, environmental audits, and site improvements).
This high-impact role will see you supporting and/or leading various strategic transactional initiatives, providing real estate and portfolio management services and professional advice to the City, developing, managing and leading the implementation of related policies, procedures and frameworks, and assisting in the development and implementation of the Corporate Master Real Estate Plan. A confident, savvy communicator, you’ll represent the City of Hamilton and the Section capably in special projects and joint committees with internal groups, external agencies and community interest groups, and prepare detailed reports and presentations for management and Council, including recommendations on alternative strategies for meeting real estate needs.
Your qualifications as a Real Estate Consultant include:
• Proven excellent knowledge in real estate and development, portfolio management, strategic planning, real estate financing and economic development, and valuation principles and practices normally acquired through the completion of a university degree and training in Urban Planning, Economics, Business or Finance, or another related discipline, or a combination of related education and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience.
• Progressive, diversified experience in planning for the acquisition, orderly use, and/or disposition of real estate interests, and negotiating transactions pertaining to the transfer of interests in real property, including strategic and capital planning, portfolio management, real estate development, and property valuation, understanding legal requirements and drafting agreements, involving a broad range of commercial, residential, industrial, institutional and mixed-use properties, as well as experience in dealing with the public.
• Working knowledge of the Ontario Municipal Act, Ontario Planning Act, Land Titles Act, Assessment Act, Environmental Assessment Act, land use, zoning, community impact, environmental controls, building codes and other relevant property management/real estate related legislation such as the Expropriations Act and the Commercial Tenancies Act.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to deal effectively and collaboratively with elected officials, business and community stakeholders, peers, all levels of management, the media, and the general public.
• Excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills to manage, supervise and balance a number of projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
• Extensive project management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams, preferably in the area of real estate and portfolio planning, and demonstrated interpersonal and negotiating skills enabling the effective resolution of issues.
• Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of a variety of effective stakeholder consultation and engagement strategies.
• A high level of skill in research and problem-solving.
• Experience in the field of public administration, an asset.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and database software applications.
• Superior understanding of the latest technological applications for delivery of real estate and portfolio management and development programs.
• Possession of, and ability to maintain, a Class G driver’s licence valid in the Province of Ontario, and access to a personal vehicle for use on the job.
These permanent, full-time positions offer a salary range of $89,309 to $104,451 per annum.
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on these Real Estate Consultant positions, JOB ID #16323, and to apply online, by Sunday, May 24, 2020.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.|