||Senior Property Officer/Appraiser
1 permanent full-time position and 1 temporary full-time position – Hamilton, ON
An expert of real estate concepts with well-developed negotiation and appraisal skills, you will rise to the challenge of this unique opportunity to join the Economic Development Division and contribute to the excellent management of the City of Hamilton real estate portfolio.
Reporting to the Coordinator, Real Property Valuation, you will prepare market value appraisal reports for real property in accordance with Code of Ethics and Standards of professional practices of the Appraisal Institute of Canada. You will leverage your negotiation experience to negotiate the acquisition, disposition and lease of real property. You will estimate the market value of various real estate interests and asset classes, including inspecting properties and preparing detailed written appraisals, and calculate cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication and rental rates for parking, encroachments, and other agreements.
This vital role will also call on you to review and critique market value estimates, analyze sale data for market conditions, negotiate agreements for various property-related interests, and implement real estate transactions on an on-going basis. Taking advantage of your excellent communication skills, you’ll prepare written reports to Council, documents such as Options and Offers to Purchase, Tenders and Leases, and various background information for Board of Negotiation Hearings and Committees of Council. You’ll also negotiate compensation settlements with owners’ solicitors in the event of expropriations, and offer professional real estate advice and opinions to the public, lawyers, real estate companies, other client departments and elected officials.
Your qualifications as a Senior Property Officer/Appraiser include:
• Developed understanding of real estate concepts and principles normally acquired by attaining a university degree or college diploma in Business, Economics or Planning or an equivalent combination of education and relevant business experience.
• Thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of negotiation, appraisal, and other general real estate concepts.
• Knowledge of legislation affecting real estate activities and transactions, property and municipal development approvals, and processes in a municipal government environment.
• Experience in computerized environment and a working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheets – software programs such as MS Word, Access and Excel.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to express ideas effectively, orally and in writing, including experience communicating in a public and/or political environment.
• Must possess a Class G Driver’s Licence and access to a reliable vehicle to use for corporate business. Proof of license ownership is required after hire.
Note: As a condition of employment, applicants may be required to complete program prerequisites for designation in either the International Right-of-Way or the Appraisal Institute of Canada.
This permanent, full-time position offers a salary range of $71,365 to $81,097 per annum.
The applicant will comply with all health and safety policies and procedures for this position and the workplace.
About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged, empowered employees. Help us #BeTheReason the entire country is talking about Hamilton, and achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
For full details and to apply
If you are interested in working alongside a dedicated team that’s contributing to the well-being of Hamilton’s residents, please visit www.hamilton.ca/careers for details on these Senior Property Officer/Appraiser positions, JOB ID #16615, and to apply online, by Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
The City of Hamilton values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people. We thank all who have applied; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.